Monday 21 September 2015

Enhancing Fitness at Decatur Memorial

CrossFit Enhance in Decatur, Illinois, is not a typical CrossFit affiliate. Opened in 2009, the facility is part of the Decatur Memorial Hospital complex, and it caters to staff and patients, as well as a vast outside membership.

“This is what preventative medicine looks like in the flesh,” says CrossFit Founder and CEO Greg Glassman. “Everyone else is paying lip service to it.”

Ken Smithmier, president and CEO of Decatur Memorial, says he got the idea to open the affiliate after he personally experienced the benefits of CrossFit.

“I started to do CrossFit first on my own,” Smithmier says. “I realized it made me feel better, and it made me stronger, and I lost some weight. It’s not hard then to figure out … if this is good for me, it’s good for other people, so now how do we make it available to those people?”

Watch as Glassman pays a visit to the affiliate he says is “amplifying” his life’s work.

Video by Gary Roberts.

6min 22sec

Additional reading: “The Hospital Affiliate” by AndrĂ©a Maria Cecil, published April 21, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment