Tuesday 19 April 2016

Behind the Scenes: 15 Games Part 3

Executive Producer Sevan Matossian once again gives us unprecedented access to the fittest athletes on the planet, catching CrossFit Games competitors in intimate moments and vulnerable positions.

In Part 3 of five, Matossian interviews the athletes as they recover from the physical and emotional aftermath of Murph and try to rally for Snatch Speed Ladder and Heavy DT—the latter a Hero-workout variation selected by fans via a Twitter vote.

Carted off on a stretcher after staggering across the finish line to complete Murph, Kara Webb bounces back with help from three bags of IV fluids.

“I was just worried … that I was going to let my little sister down. I’m trying to get money so I can pay for her private school,” she says.

Two former champions react to the day’s disappointments. After finishing 36th in Snatch Speed Ladder, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet slumps in anger and frustration. Nearby, Annie Thorisdottir, 33rd in Murph, confesses that things are not going as planned.

“I’m definitely going to be a little bit sad tonight. I know that’s going to happen, and there’s no point of trying not to be.”

Brooke Ence, on the other hand, lights up the screen after taking first place in Snatch Speed Ladder.

“I’m 25, and I’m not going to wait to be amazing,” she says.

Video by Sevan Matossian.

50min 36sec

Additional reading: “Portraits in Motion” by Kieran Kesner, published Sept. 16, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment