Friday 24 June 2016

Training Tips: From Wreck to Recovery

Shane Upchurch explains what he learned about CrossFit training and coaching while recovering from a 2015 motorcycle accident.

On Aug. 8, 2015, I was hit on my motorcycle by a box truck that ran a red light. I suffered degloving of my lower left leg, three displaced ribs, a bruised lung and swelling of the brain. I spent one month in a hospital and underwent a free flap transplant to my lower left leg, a crainiotomy and a few other smaller operations.

After I was released from the hospital, I spent about five weeks on a couch resting. I finally began working with a physical therapist, and in the beginning I mostly rode the Airdyne before doing my therapy homework. After being cleared by my doctors for all activity, I began working my way back to CrossFit-style training. After all, it was arguably this fit lifestyle that helped me bounce back in the first place.

In dealing with my return to CrossFit, I’ve learned a few things I think would be beneficial to other coaches and athletes who are coming back from an injury or even just a lot of time off CrossFit. I narrowed my experiences down to five concepts that have helped me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment